Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Why I did not get up today at 5 AM

What is the impediment to any person getting up at 5 AM?

The impediment is his thought process.

If I am motivated to get up early, say, I have something really important to do – then I will certainly get up. This is because as soon as I get up thoughts about that thing to do will make me get up.

But if I want to get up and run and meditate and all… cool. But when the alarm rings, the thought that comes up is what am I going to gain by so much discomfort ? Will I have to run? Why do I have to implement this scaffold.

One way out is to have no thoughts whatsoever while getting up. No thoughts. The alarm rings. I get up. Alarm ringing…. I get up. That’s it. Pavlov’s dog.

But thoughtlessness is not a piece of cake. As a matter of fact, It may take me – the persisting me – 3-4 days to register one success using the thoughtless method. The method is good, but too error prone.

There must be some motivation to get up.

Earlier one motivation was to test how it felt to get up at 5 AM for 30 days. It does not matter whether I do anything productive or not. It does not matter whether I need to get up or not. This is simply a 30 day test of my discipline and the change that can be brought about by getting up at 5AM.

The key motivator here is the fact that this is a 30 day test. There is no other motivating fact. I get up because I have vowed to get up for 30 days. I get up to keep that vow. To experience what happens when I get up at 5 AM simply because I have decided I will for 30 days.

Because, simply put – there never can be enough motivation to convince the sleepy Meghu to get up at 5 AM regularly. Anything that can be done at 5AM can be done in the evening too. So there is no point providing false motivation, back-humping motivation.


So I want to get up at 5 AM for 30 days. That’s it. I intend to get up at 5 AM for 30 days. No reason. No justification. Nothing. Just to test whether the habit of getting up early is worth it. After this first 30 day trial of mine, I can use it to test habits. After all some guy saying that it is good to get up at 5 AM is not reason enough to believe it blindly. Let me try it out for 30 days.


Of course since getting up is the main thing, running etc. don’t come into the picture as yet.


Cool. Journaling is fun J

1 comment:

Prateek Wanna be Eloquent!!!!! said...

hi...if u wanna wkae up at 5 a.m. there r two things whether u just wanna wake up at 5 and do smthg so its better u sleep early everyday and think its gonna b easier for u to get up.the other thing is if u wanna get up 5 after u sleep late or take only a five hour sleep or so,then u have to be pretty strict and firm with urself and get up by thinkin u gotta jus keep ur own word or u'll be down in ur own eyes.