Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What are goals?

Goals are dreams with deadlines. I want to achieve something. I write it down. I look at it everyday. I work towards it. I intend it to happen. I set a deadline for its achievement. And I achieve it. I have then achieved a goal.

Special Goals
HABIT BASED
GOALS to achieveThis could be the standard meaning of a goal. But if I face one fear a day – that is a goal too. It has no set deadline, but it is a goal. If I condition a habit, the aim to condition that habit s a goal too. And of course working hard towards something is a goal anyway. So I have general goals – habit based goals and special goals.



















Habit based and special goals can be part of the action plan of goals to achieve or they may be separate interesting goals to test, experiment and let go.
I define long term goals as goals that are aimed at the next 3-5 years. Then there are medium term goals that are aimed at the next one year. Then of course I have short term goals aimed at 3 month intervals. It is not necessary that short term goals flow out of medium term goals which flow out of long term goals. But it is necessary for all goals to have some kind of link with my personal mission statement.

Long term
Medium Term
Short term
Personal Mission Statement












All habit based and special goals are essentially sort-of mini goals, for they are not intended for months or years.

Each type of goal (long term, short term) may lead to new and exciting habit based and special goals.


Now how do I go about implementing these goals?

I create a word document titled – long term goals. I have no prior experience so let us say I review my long term goals every week. I review them every week because I think it will be difficult to review so much every day and they are long term goals anyway. I review my short term goals and my habit based and special goals everyday. My habit based and special goals are tabulated in a word document. My medium and short term goals are tabulated in separate word documents too. All these goals are tabulated under the following categories:

Social – How I can lessen the influence of what society thinks of me in my life.
Physical – Fitness, health.
Mental/Academic, Technical – As long as I am involved in technical work – how I can do that work to the best of my ability.
Spiritual – Meditation, being.
Personal Development
Etc.

Of course all those goals which require time to be allocated for them will be allocated time by the Quadrant II time manager.

Also the word document that lists particular long term goal (say) will list every thing – all details and all habit based and special and short term goals etc. associated with that goal. They will also list whether certain tasks need to be added unto the weekly time manager.

No comments: